There used to be several hundred Jewish communi-
ties in Bohemia, each of which had a synagogue or at
least a prayer house or room, and a Jewish cemetery.
Several dozen such communities existed in South
Bohemia as well, but today not a single one remains.
Most of their members died during World War II
in concentration and extermination camps, whereas
many of those who survived emigrated after 1948 or
1968. The South Bohemian Region also falls under
the jurisdiction of the Jewish community in Prague,
which also manages all Jewish cemeteries and several
other preserved South Bohemian Jewish heritage sites.
Another problem was that in the second half of the 19th
century, many Jews migrated from the villages to the
cities. Many rural Jewish communities became extinct
and many synagogues were abandoned, some were
sold to private individuals and modified for other
purposes, and others were purchased by Christian
church organizations. Since the Velvet Revolution,
some of these have been reconstructed and now serve
as museums; in South Bohemia, for example, these are
the synagogues in Bechyně, Český Krumlov, and Čkyně.
Of the fifty South Bohemian Jewish cemeteries, the
rarely preserved Jewish cemetery in Jindřichův Hradec
deserves particular attention; it is one of the oldest
preserved Jewish cemeteries in the Czech Republic.